Monday, March 24, 2008

#37 Music to my ever downloading ears!

I love last.fm. However, my boyfriend/ISP has told me off on more than one occasion that I have to stop downloaded from this site as it is a download hog. That made me love it more but also made me relish it a bit more. I often research my favourite bands here and also find out about gigs that are coming up. It's good with international acts but not so good for local stuff.

What interests me here is the recommending function. You can love or hate songs and if you hate them you won't ever hear them again. It's basically like your own music station. The recommender function is based on what other people are doing. If someone listens to both Sufjan Stevens and Bright Eyes Last.fm makes a connection between these two and then delivers that to other users. So it's cool when you come across someone you like you can type them in and find other artists that are similar. Well, I guess they are similar in terms of other people's music collections. But most of us like a very wide range of music so this is very lateral.

No comments: