Monday, November 26, 2007

# 9 newsfeeds

What a great information sharing tool. So great, in fact, that it is overwhelming.

I hope that Newsfeeds have a massive impact for customer service in libraries for our savvy users. It might also help us connect with users that don't visit the library or the reference desk and hopefully non-users as well. I suppose we already do a kind of RSS by allowing borrowers to set up profiles which send them an email when new resources are added to the catalogue that match their search terms. When the library blog goes live to the public I hope there are some keen borrowers out there that RSS is to capture our latest ramblings. We should make it worth their while by marketing services, reviewing new resources, connecting them to other web 2.0 features and promoting literacy education.

I have some favourite cooking websites that I feed into through MyYahoo to receive the most recently uploaded recipes. This means that I don't need to go to the websites every few days to check out what's new. Sometimes you can't even find out what is just been added as the web designers don't have an option for it. I can take a quick look at the recipe titles and decide whether to go further or not. It can really be used to save time searching, hunting, mining and then doing it all over again next week!

Feedstar is under construction so i couldn't check it out but i had a peek at topix. It's quite commercial but I could still spend all day there - I learned some useless things - like a cow recently gave birth to quadriplets in China and a one-house town in Italy was sold on E-Bay. Yep, changed my life that stuff did.

No comments: